Monday, July 6, 2015

Elementary School



This is a dangerous interpretation and cutting and pasting of scripture without surrounding verses. Just by looking at the full verse one can see our immediate understanding of this is changed. It is not so simple. Heb 6:1-2 (ESV) says "Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, and of instruction about washings [baptism], the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment."

This is not saying, "leave basic teachings about Christ." If anything it says let us remember we are made complete IN Christ, not lacking, not needing any law or list or ritual to save us. We don't need to discuss repentance from dead works, aka "the law" and we don't need instructions about how to raise the dead, baptize, heal, and do good works. What we need is to remember Christ and him crucified. Heb 6:19, the end of the chapter, reminds us of our justification and reconciliation to God through Christ: "We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek."

So no, I disagree. We definitely need to keep going over the basic teaching about Christ. The ones that remind us that we are sinners, that we need a savior, that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves, no baptism, no miracles, no good works. Because as we think we are "mature" in Christ, we forget, that our righteousness is filthy rags. We forget that apart from him we can do nothing. We forget that it is only because of his grace that anything good comes from our wretched hearts. We grow proud of our goodness, we become self-righteous pharisees.

I hope that you will not stop going over the basic teachings about Christ with me. I need the Gospel, every day. Every day I forget I'm a sinner. Every day I think I can save myself. Call me immature. But please, don't stop reminding me of the Gospel. Please tell me as ofter as you can that, "I'm more sinful and flawed than I ever dared believe and I'm more loved and welcome than I ever dared hope."
Only then can I respond in love. Only then, when I remember how much I've been loved, can I love in return. Not by my power by by His Spirit and His grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment