Sunday, April 22, 2012

Humble Parenting

Many of us complain about the hurt and damage we received from our parents in our childhood. I understand we all want to do things differently and protect our children from those kinds of hurts. But has it occurred to us that there are other hurts and damage that will be done regardless? What makes us all think we are so great at parenting that we will not screw up our kids just as much as our parents did us? We are SINNERS. We WILL screw up. We all need an extra dose of humility. None of us will be perfect parents. None of us will do EVERYTHING right. And ALL of us will look back on some of our decisions and say “man, I wish I did that differently.” My prayer for my kids is that my children will seek God’s healing for the ways that I fail. Because I WILL fail.

Another thought is that many of us judge and say well if I did what THEY do my kids would respond this way, so therefore its wrong. For example I might say if I let my 5 and 3 year old boys eat what they want, whenever they were hungry they would eat every two hours and chose junk food. Well that is because I have trained them to eat what I tell them. They dont have many chances to choose and when they do choose they want something special that they dont get all the time. For someone who has trained their child from the start to chose good healthy foods all the time, who never gave them candy or chips, their child at 5 may be able to be trusted to choose his menu. You get the idea. Its all about the training.

We need to stop comparing. "Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else." Gal 6:4

And stop judging how God made each one of us different. "But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me [OR THEM] like this?' Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?" Rom 9:20-21

Luke 18:9-14 "To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

1 comment: