Sunday, February 8, 2009

Judging

What does God say about judging others? The first few verses I can think of are these:
Mat 7:1-2
1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

And then seemingly to the contrary:

1 Cor 5:9-13
9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

What does judging really mean? And what does Paul mean by judging those inside the church?

First and foremost there is only one true judge, Jesus Christ. He will judge the living and the dead (Acts 10:42, 2 Tim 4:1, 1 Pet 4:5). However Paul has a point we as the church are to hold one another accountable - out of brotherly love for the good of the church. But we cannot hold up the same measuring stick to those outside the church. They don't have Christ so how can they be expected to live like him. Our focus there should be sharing His love, not his judgment.

Judging within the church is also a very fine line. Eph 4 talks about speaking the truth in love in order to gain unity. But we also have to wait on God's timing and always approach others with humility.

God has really taught me this because I struggle with pride. I really have to be careful when looking at others. I have to not compare and I have to remember that all I am and have is what God has given me. I am no better than anyone else. And if I have grown in ways that others may not have yet, it is only because of what God has chosen to do in me. Not by my might, not by my power but by HIS SPIRIT! (Zec 4:6)

I have also learned that compassion is another key for me in not judging. Instead of looking down my nose at those who struggle, I'm learning to recognize and empathize with how difficult our struggles can be.

Again, Jesus is the one true judge, we are just his servants and need to be careful who and how we "judge".

No comments: