Friday, February 27, 2009

Discipline

Hebrews 12:1-12

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
4In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
6because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."[a]
7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
12Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.

I am so in love with this passage lately. Its always coming to mind. I got familiar with it when researching God's word regarding discipline for my son. But find more and more that I'm applying it to my own life as well as the lives of other adults God places in my path.

I see a cycle in my life of sin, discipline, repentance, growth. I sin, God disciplines me for my sin, I recognize and repent, and God brings growth. Then there is another sin to be dealt with and we start all over again. But so often I would get stuck in the discipline phase. Whether it was guilt or fear that kept me there, I would wallow in it.

I will be the first one to say how much it can sting when the truth of God's word hits our hearts. I would spend so much time worrying about the embarrassment I had caused myself and questioning how to be different. I had always lived this way, how was I going to change? What a waste! That was time I could have spent learning how to be different and be relieved of that "discipline" I had brought upon myself by just walking in obedience.

I have learned how awesome it is to let God take over and let go of my old ways and ideas. His ways are so much better than our ways. He is an awesome God. Don't get stuck in the recognition and admission phase...because its too hard to be different. Its not! God is the one who does all the work. Just let go!

I also let the devil discourage me with guilt. Don't think you are unloved and useless because you now have eyes to see your sin. God is revealing his truth so that you can repent and grow. Remember Christ already paid the price and you already have forgiveness.

I can testify to amazing things happening in my life, my marriage, my parenting, my friendships, when I've just let go and let God do it all for me.

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! Awesome posts Liz!!! .. really enjoyed them! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete